giovedì 7 febbraio 2008

Being a teacher

Hello again

I am reporting below a passage from F. McCourt's Teacher Man, a book that deeply moved me, particularly in the experiences reported by the writer in his being a teacher:

“A few years earlier I could have been one of them, part of the huddled masses. This is my immigrant comfort level. I know English, but I am not so far removed from their confusions. Rock bottom in the social hierarchy. I could drop the teacher mask, walk down the aisle, sit with them and ask them about their families, what it is like in the old country, tell them about myself, my meandering days, how I hid for years behind the mask, still hiding as a matter of fact, how I wish we could lock that door and shut all the world outside until they spoke enough English to make them feel so cool they can tell that foxy white chick they’re ready for a little action.
Wouldn’t that be pretty?
I look at this collection of kids from all continents, faces of all colors and shapes, God’s plenty, this garden: Asians with hair blacker and shinier than anything ever seen in Europe; the great brown eyes of Hispanic boys and girls; shyness of some, rowdiness of others, posturing of boys, coyness of girls. […]
In class she [Nancy] says, You were lucky you knew English when you came to America. How did you feel when you came to America?
Confused. Do you know what confused means?
The word goes around the room. They explain it to one another in their own languages and heads nod, yeah, yeah. They are surprised the man up there, the teacher, was once confused like them and he knew English and everything. So, we have something ion common: confusion.
I tell them that when I came to New York I had trouble with language and the names of things. I had to learn the food words: sauerkraut, cole slaw, hot dog, bagel mit a schmeer.”

Frank McCourt, Teacher Man, Green Peril Corporation, 2005: 131-132, trad. italiana Ehi Prof!, Milano, Adelphi Ed, 2006.

Apart from the setting (an Irish teacher in the USA) -which could however in many ways apply to our multilingual and multicultural classes today -what struck me is the feeling of empathy McCourt innerly expresses towards his students, which he barely dared to express. When he does, the students seem so surprised to find out he is a "human being", who can also feel confused.

How often do we dare expressing our human side to our students, who often long for a smile or a look of complicity to feel they are appreciated as persons, too? And to feel that the class is not only a cognitive but an affective place, too? Where it may be worth belonging?

I have often asked myself these questions, and still do even in university wide classrooms, where establishing rapport seems more a challenge than an opportunity. And I find that the effort is always worth it, as responses generally come - often just a matter of time and patience.

What do you feel and think?

Paola :-)

8 commenti:

Daniela Millini ha detto...

Dear Paola,
I definitely agree with you.
You can't create an effective 'learning environment' if you don't accept to bring in yourself as a Person, a human being (as you said) and not just as The teacher - the one who knows everything and is always right, and doesn't care so much of WHO he /she is teaching to, being focus on what he/she is teaching.
Yesterday I read a couple of post on a blog I found by chance - this is the link http://blog.libero.it/ScuolaCheNonVa
and I was rather negatively impressed... Have a look, you'll understand what I mean.
Luv,
Dani

Daniela Millini ha detto...

Oh, I forgot: I love Frank McCourt's books!

Daniela Millini ha detto...

I found this...'nice' videoclip...just surfing the net (youtube, specifically...)
http://learnteachexperiment.blogspot.com/

Daniela Millini ha detto...

Dear Paola,
I finally sent you the questionnaires...You should receive them in a couple of days.
Bye,
Dani

Paola ha detto...

Dear Dani,

thank you so much for the questionnaires: I'll look forward to receiving them.
Thank you also for your comments, and sorry not to have replied earlier - it's been a few very full weeks.
I had a look at the blog you mention, and yes, I see what you mean by 'negative impression'. It sounds a bit like the first part of the video on discipline you uploaded in the TesolCop blog: juxtaposition instead of cooperation. Not always easy, but it is a frame of mind I believe.

As for the videoclip... what's the address? I suspect you have copied and pasted the one of this blog by mistake, but I'd be very interested in the videoclip you mention.

Love

Paola

Anna Mazzeo ha detto...

Dear Paola and Dani,
I definitely agree with you about the feeling of empathy between the teacher and his students. I think we should make great efforts in this direction. My students have often the opportunity to see my human side, as I try to be myself, indeed I don't know how I could be different! I think they feel I consider them as persons and they feel I am a person with my negative and positive aspects; most of them feel they can trust on me,even if I want them to study more! But.... I'm not sure this is enough to make them feel proud of their class, their school.....etc..in other words to feel completely at ease and eager to be at school.
Paola, Antonio and I have done the questionnaires in 6 classes(3 first casses and 3 second classes) I'll manage to send them in few days, can you send me the right address?
As to the Tesolcop, I'm terribly sorry of being absent, but... I really don't have time at the moment! Family problems and afternoon remedial courses at school completely absorb me. I hope I'll be able to send at least a message in the next days. Now and Then I'm having a look at it and I've seen your last videos on technorati and on the difference between blog and wiki. Very interesting and clear! You both, Dani and Paola, are Great! I hope you go on, it's very useful! Sorry if I can't be an active participant, I hope you can understand me.
Love
Anna

Paola ha detto...

Dear Anna,

what a pleasure to hear from you!

And thank you so much to you and Antonio for the questionnaires - I'll send you my address by e- mail.

I do perfectly understand what you mean by lack of time!!!! It's always a struggle to fit everything in a 24-hours day...

All my love :-))

Paola

Daniela Millini ha detto...

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=3raH8TAGd1E
This is the link - I didn't realised I'd just copied yours...
Dani